What Has The NSHA Done For You Lately?
- Represented the interest of horse owners and the equestrian
industry at numerous State, County and local hearings & meetings.
- Defeated the Village of Northport’s proposed law banning the public display of animals. This sweeping local ordnance, pushed by radical animal rights activists as an example for the whole country, would have effectively outlawed all pony rides, carriage rides, horses in parades and even school displays.
- Opposed the current development plan for an equestrian center on 39 acres at the Muttontown Preserve due to concerns over trail conservation and continued public equestrian access.
- ATV user groups are lobbying to gain access to state and county trails on Long Island! NSHA issued a strong position statement apposing ATV use on Long Island trails. NSHA is actively working to defeat any changes to the law that would permit ATV use on any of Long Island’ parks and trails.
- Fighting to preserve the Nassau County 4-H Club horse camp in Riverhead.
- Worked & planned with the Muttontown Horseman's Association to restore lost trail access.
- Continued to preserve and expand equestrian trails on Long Island. Miles of new equestrian trails added in Montauk and more on the way!
- $50 “Fine” to Ride at Brookhaven State Park has been rescinded only after years of persistent lobbying efforts. Currently a new management plan for the use of Brookhaven State Park is under development that will include equestrian use.
- Working to re-open the Hempstead Lake State Park bridle path to the general public and lobbying for horse trailer parking at that park.
- Increased public awareness of horses and the significant economic impact the equestrian industry has on the local and national economy.
- Presented living history school programs by the NSHA Rough Riders and 10th NY Cavalry which introduce over 10,000 children to horses each year.
- Educated the Horse Community to promote good horsemanship and humane treatment of equines.
- Organized major trail rides: Montauk Ride, Long Island Vineyard Ride and NSHA Open House. Presented English & Western Horse Shows.
PLEASE RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP -OR- JOIN THE NSHA TODAY